Life with Braces
| Types of Braces
| Braces Diagram
| Types of Appliances
| Retainer Instructions
- Retainers are to be worn 24 hours a day for the first 3 days after your braces are removed.
- Take your retainers out when eating, brushing your teeth, playing contact sports, or swimming. Always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- After the first 3 days wear the retainers at night only.
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance or denture cleaners can be used to freshen and prevent the growth of bacteria, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments. Dr. Smith will be checking the fit of the retainers as well as the position of your teeth.
- Retainer replacement is expensive; with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
Back to top